June 29th, 2014
Do we have the speed of light wrong? I doubt it, and I’m very skeptical of the argument put forward in the link. Basically we expect neutrinos to get out of exploding supernovas faster than the light. Neutrinos fly through matter. Light is scattered. It takes time for the light to emerge. It is expected to lag the neutrinos so it becomes an issue of how much, not that it happens. What’s more likely — we have an uncertain lag time or have a very huge fundamental mistake concerning something that’s been closely considered.
Scientist offers $10,000 to any denier who can offer scientific proof that human-induced climate change is not happening. Don’t expect anyone to collect any time soon…or ever. In any event, this satellite should help get a clearer picture about CO2. And if you want to make a difference, go vegetarian.
The category of science news that seems most prone to problems is health science. Here’s an article about how to interpret health science news.
The military now has X-ray guns. Move along, citizen…
Secrets of the Creative Brain. Not all the secrets are good. Starts with the case of Kurt Vonnegut, FYI. Also has this choice quote: “Doing good science is … like having good sex. It excites you all over and makes you feel as if you are all-powerful and complete.”
America’s culture of ignorance compared to Asia’s culture of intelligence, not favorably. Isaac Asimov cited in the opening of the article. Neil deGrasse Tyson has some advice about this issue.
First exoskeleton wearers might be the wheelchair bound. Maybe they’ll be the first superheroes, too. I’m thinking of a story involving a military vet…
The bad science of World War Z. Some of these thoughts came to mind when I watched the movie, too. Still, overall I enjoyed a big budget look at fast zombies, even if it doesn’t bear closer scrutiny (and it doesn’t).
Gollum spotted! For reals!
Dr. Who tops list of 250 science fiction moments. Like most polls, we get recent entries that haven’t stood the test of time yet, but some that do. Here’s the top ten:
1. DOCTOR WHO The Doctor and Rose say farewell at Bad Wolf Bay in “Doomsday”
2. AVENGERS ASSEMBLE “Puny god!” The Hulk owns Loki
3. ALIEN The chestburster
4. FIREFLY Mal Reynolds kicks a bad guy into Serenity’s engine intake (“The Train Job”)
5. STAR WARS: THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK Luke learns that Darth Vader is his father
6. BLADE RUNNER Roy Batty’s “Tears in rain” speech
7. GAME OF THRONES The Red Wedding: “The Lannisters send their regards”
8. THE MATRIX Neo dodges bullets in the bullet-time scene
9. HARRY POTTER AND THE HALF-BLOOD PRINCE Dumbledore’s death
10. BACK TO THE FUTURE “Where we’re going, we don’t need roads”
You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can skip to the end and leave a response. Pinging is currently not allowed.